Sunday, January 13, 2013

Today I rode the train with no pants

I don't remember how I came across Improv Everywhere. It was probably during a trip down the Youtube rabbit hole. But the moment I did discover it, I promised myself that if I ever got the chance to be involved in one of their missions I would do it.

I did cross my fingers and hope that the No Pants Subway Ride wouldn't be the first opportunity that came my way though.

The pantless changing trains at South Bank Station


It seems that the comedy gods had other things in mind however because last week (strangely about half an hour after I was once again browsing the Improv Everywhere website) I got an email announcing that the annual No Pants Subway Ride was happening again and it was going global.

Getting on the train at South Bank


Founded in New York in 2006 this year the No Pants Subway Ride took place in over 70 cities around the world - Brisbane being one of them.

I psyched myself up and committed to myself that whatever happened I was going to take part - no chickening out. I bought myself a new pair of undies (a pair of modest Bonds boylegs) and made my way to Central for the ride.
Proof that I did, indeed, go pantless


There wasn't as many people as I expected (about 20), but I stuck to my guns and got on the train. The hardest part was taking my shorts off once we left Roma St. I sat just up from a couple of other girls that were taking part and it looked like they were going to pike, but I went ahead - like ripping off a band-aid - and they soon followed. The guy sitting opposite me didn't know where to look and it was extremely difficult to keep a straight face.

QR and the Queensland Police were really supportive. They announced us at South Bank station, which kind of ruined the spontaneity of the event, but was still nice. And the cops had got some guys to ride on the train to make sure everyone was safe. One copper even came dressed for the occasion.

The cops getting into the spirit of the day


I'm so proud of myself for getting involved. As someone who hates being the centre of attention I didn't know how I was going to go.

The best part was overhearing peoples reactions. At first I had my earphones in, but then I decided I wanted to experience everything that was going on. The looks on peoples faces and their confusion about what was going on. One of the coppers even told a passenger that everyone had to take their pants off if they wanted to ride the train today - priceless.

Who needs to jump out of an aeroplane when you can just ride public transport in your undies.

DFTBA Everyone!

p.s. I'll post the official video later on when it's available.

Check out Improv Everywhere here - seriously, if you ever need cheering up, spend some time on their website and I challenge you not to smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment