Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Things I learnt while painting my bedroom


1. Painting in the middle of a Brisbane summer isn't smart


I've nearly passed out couple of times and had to force myself to take some time out. I have drunk about 3 litres of water, but that seems to have made me feel more unwell.

I've also revived an old trick I learnt while working in a fish and chip shop in my youth - wet a hand towel and roll it up like a sausage; Pop it in the freezer for an hour; Take it out and drape around your neck until it thaws. It's a good idea to have at least two on the go so you can swap them over when the one you are wearing feels more like some kind of sweaty fur stole.

2. I hate sanding


As simple as it sounds. I freaking hate sanding. My apartment has lots of heavy gloss trim that I have to wear down so the paint will stick to it. Plus there is a sliding door that separates my bedroom and the bathroom that I'm afraid to take out because I know if I do I will never get it back in again. So this had to be sanded while in situ... not fun.

3. Don't stop to Instagram half way through the second coat


Yes, you may feel inspired to take a photo of your new fresh white walls (see photo above). But when you come back you will have forgotten where you were up to, the paint will be drying on your brush and roller and you will realise you just posted a picture of essentially a blank white wall with paint drying.

4. Sometimes it is smarter to just turn the fan off


Heavily related to point 1. It may be 32 degrees and your t-shirt rapidly becoming more sweat than fabric but if you intend to stand on a ladder to reach the fiddly bit at the top of the wall, turn the bloody fan off. I know it's a tight race between heat stroke and a concussion, but all in all I'd say it's smarter to turn the fan off, at least just for the duration of the fiddly high painting*.

5. I REALLY hated the colour of my bedroom 


You know you've made the right decision to repaint when you find yourself doing a little dance of joy as you cover up the last of the old paint job. I still have a bit to go before the bedroom make-over is complete, but if I only get as far as painting over the nausea inducing cream that my apartment is covered in I will be one happy girl. 

And I think I've earned a glass of wine.

*I am pleased to say that I intuitively figured this out before I gave myself a concussion.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, some good tips in there. Good job for getting it done! I suspect my walls would remain half finished for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still half way through finishing the architraves. Painting was cut short today by me almost passing out from the heat. But I'm sleeping in the spare room at the moment so there's motivation to get it finished. Plus, I actually started with the bathroom this time last year. I figure if I paint one room each year I will have the place finished by the time I've finished uni and looking to move.

      Delete