Friday, January 4, 2013

DIY Terrarium

My bathroom was in desperate need of some greenery so it was time to knock me up some terrarium.

The only thing I had to buy was the sphagnum moss so this whole project only cost me $10, and I'll be able to use the moss for other potting projects.

You will need...

1. A glass jar, vase, bowl or any other vessel to plant your plants in
2. Some rocks, pebbles or sand for drainage
3. Sphagnum moss
4. Potting mix
5. Some little plants - cacti, succulents, ferns and moss are perfect
6. Little things for decoration - pretty rocks, shells or ornaments are perfect

and... 7. If you are putting a lid on your terrarium you will need some charcoal to help filter the air


I had a glass jar that was given to me years ago. The paint's been progressively chipping off and the lid got broken somewhere along the way so it seemed like the perfect option for my terrarium.


I scraped off the remaining paint with a blade and cleaned it up ready to go.

Add a layer of rocks, pebbles or sand.

(If you are putting a lid on your terrarium add your layer of charcoal next)

Add a layer of sphagnum moss.

Add a layer of potting mix.




I took some cuttings from a few rangy succulents that are on my list of garden to-do's on the holidays and planted these in the potting mix.

Tip - use a pencil or stick to poke a hole in the potting mix first so you don't damage the bottom of your cutting when pressing it into the soil


I added my two little ornaments: a rabbit my Aunt brought me back from Greece and a tiger I bought in Japan - very international.



Water your plants in with a little amount of water and you are done. Easy!


 Perfect for my bathroom

Happy DIY'ing



1 comment:

  1. I'm dying to make a terranium. Yours looks really good.

    ReplyDelete